TagPredict is a free Google Extension which seems to present a new way of how we use social media websites and how we examine popularity of posts. It basically presents how Hashtags are performing on the site that you browse and gives you the live social media trends as you surf the net.
How it works?
Downloading the extension from the Google Webstore took us less than a minute, and as the vendor says, we didn’t need to register or provide any details – the process was fully anonymous. Then a “TagPredict” button was added to the top left corner of the browser. When you click it, a window of the Hashtags trends is presented:
Clicking “more” extended the list, and it looks like the vendor gives the top 100 hashtags of the site you are on. Clicking “Global Trends” gave us a different table, which seems to be of hashtags from all the internet (and not just Twitter). When we mouse hovered the graph we got a bigger version of it, which is useful:
But the coolest and main feature of the add-on is that it highlights all the hashtags on the screen (the default is yellow but we could change to colours in the “settings” tab to also red or green) and when you mouse hover it, a small popup window gives you the statistics of that specific hashtag – a feature which we never saw with other apps:
What is it good for?
Well, TagPredict seems to be the most advanced technology in the Hashtags market, maybe even too advanced for its time? Probably different audiences would find it useful in different ways:
- Product managers: we think, if you are a #CocaCola product manager, you would like to know if hashtags related to your product are trending, or dropping in popularity
- Channels managers: channels manages would like to know which hashtags are trending on which
- Social media marketers / SEO people: this is ABC…. Social media marketers always want to know which hashtags are trending, so they could use them and gain better exposure.
TagPredict has several features which over take any other hashtags technologies:
- Cross platform – it indeed works on all websites, unlike other hashtags add-ons which work only on Twitter and Instagram, TagPredict is working on all websites, even on this blog…
- Accurate – we went on twitter, clicked the TagPredict button, then copied the top hashtags as claimed by TagPredict back into the Twitter search engine. Surprise… it was accurate. Now the big test – we went on google.com and did the same – and it worked fine. It is brilliant that TagPredict is working on Google too!
- Fast – in most cases, we found it working fast and smooth. No bug encountered.
- Reliable – we didn’t experience any dodgy actions – no popups or personal registration been required.
Job well done, but maybe some ideas how it could be improved:
- Alerts: alerts are missing (even if just for paying users), so if for example, the hashtag #WarIsComing is trending, I would get an Email alert
- Filters: no search filters in the add-ons data table
- Data sort: in the pop up window, better let the user “sort” the tables by popularity, growth etc
Yes. Install it. Our score: 9/10.
TagPredict website at http://www.TagPredict.com – you can also get the current live hashtags trends on that site.
TagPredict Blog, with news, technical support, FAQ and ability to ask questions with “facebook comments”